Thursday, September 23, 2010

Palm Developer Blog: PDK Hot Apps: Plasma Cannon

Posted: 22 Sep 2010 10:02 PM PDT
My “me” has more than one “I”: I am a gamer, I am a mobile app enthusiast, and I am an avid webOS user. Plasma Cannon makes each one of those guys smile. Rob Merrell did an amazing job of crafting a physics-based puzzle game that is quick to learn and offers more than one solution to most of the challenges. The initial levels use the now-standard-in-AAA-titles-but-I-wish-more-developers-would-clue-in tactic of acting as an in-game tutorial. The learning curve is gentle and approached organically, while always remembering the user is playing a game and expects a fun experience.

A particularly fun level
The game world is simple, stable, and consistent. Each of the elements introduced, from the initial simple cannonballs through some of the more exotic features like the gravity switches behaved exactly as I would expect. The game’s simple UI and mechanics stayed out of my way while giving me the fine level of control to solve some of the more complicated challenges with a single shot. While it is possible to outsmart yourself and destroy all chances for success in a challenge you are always a simple back-gesture away from a reset game board.

Plasma Cannon stands as an ideal example of the type of casual yet addictive apps the PDK can power on webOS. Graphically simple and clean with a top-notch physics engine, a responsive UI, perfectly timed sound effects, and a catchy soundtrack, this one of the most fun games I have played yet on webOS. Do yourself a favor and try Plasma Cannon Lite — and if you like it, buy Plasma Cannon. You will not be disappointed. If you are a developer, aim your cannon at Plasma Cannon — it is not too late to submit and climb the leader boards yourself!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Invitation] Galaxy Unpacked 2024, Jan 17: Opening a New Era of Mobile AI.

A revolutionary mobile experience is coming. Get ready to discover a new era full of possibilities with the latest Galaxy innovations, desig...

Popular Posts